The extradition process to send Harvey Weinstein to Los Angeles has officially begun after the Hollywood producer was sentenced to 23 years in prison.
Weinstein, 67, was previously found guilty of a criminal sex act in the first degree and rape in the third degree of two women in New York City.
On Wednesday (11 March), Judge James Burke handed down a sentence of 23 years at a hearing at the Manhattan Criminal Court.
Now prosecutors in Los Angeles have confirmed that they’ve started the extradition process of bringing Weinstein to California, where he faces further sexual assault charges.
Prosecutors filed the charges against the disgraced producer in January shortly after his New York trial began, accusing him of sexually assaulting two women.
Announcing the extradition update, an LAPD spokesman said: ‘The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has begun the process of extraditing defendant Weinstein to California to face the sexual assault charges that were filed in January.
‘No arraignment date has been set. Once a date has been set, our office will notify the public.’
Weinstein is accused of forcible rape, forcible oral copulation and sexual penetration by use of force and sexual battery of restraint. The first incident is said to have taken place in a Los Angeles hotel room on 18 February 2013, while the second allegedly took place the following evening.
Both women reported the incidents in 2013 and then filed police reports in 2017. If convicted, Weinstein faces up to 28 years in state prison.
At the time of filing the charges, the LA County DA have requested bail at $5 million (£4.4 million).
During Weinstein’s sentencing this week, Judge Burke told Weinstein: ‘This is your first conviction, but not your first offense.’
He received 20 years for a criminal sexual act in the first degree, and three years for rape in the third degree; these sentences will run consecutively.
If Weinstein serves his full sentence, he will be 90 when he leaves prison. He will also have to register as a sex offender when he is released.
Following news of his sentencing, The Silence Breakers – the group of women who have accused Weinstein of inappropriate behaviour – released a statement.
They said: ‘Harvey Weinstein‘s legacy will always be that he’s a convicted rapist. He is going to jail — but no amount of jail time will repair the lives he ruined, the careers he destroyed, or the damage he has caused.’
Shortly after his verdict last month, Weinstein was taken to Bellevue Hospital after complaining of chest pains.
He spent 10 days in hospital before being transferred to the notorious New York prison Rikers Island.
In Rikers Island, Weinstein was sharing a cell consisting of ‘a sink and toilet, all stainless steel and open’ with two older men.
Weinstein’s spokesperson Juda Engelmayer said the former movie mogul was ‘miserable’ but ‘trying to be optimistic’.
Source: Read Full Article