Vicious burglary gang who tied up victims in their own home jailed for 28 years

A vicious gang of burglars who tied up and threatened two people who were sleeping inside their home have been jailed for a total of 28 years.

Baffour Amponsah, 32, David Powell, 31, and 25-year-old Alfie Taylor broke into the home in Gravesend, Kent while brandishing knives and wearing masks.

The trio woke their victims who were asleep upstairs and demanded cash.

The victims were tied up, punched in the head and ordered to lie face down on the bed by one of the men while the other two raided the house.

The thieves made off with jewellery and cash before one of the victims managed to overpower the man holding them down.

He pushed the thug out of the bedroom, locked the door and called the police after the suspects fled.

  • Motorist who mowed down award-winning NHS doctor and 'loving father' spared jail

  • Daughter of murdered mum tied to sink and thrown in reservoir bravely speaks out

Officers attended the scene on July 11 last year, along with a police dog who tracked the suspects to another property.

Elizabeth Woods, 27, who opened the door to the nearby house tried to stop officers entering and attempted to set her dog on them.

Amponsah and Taylor were discovered hiding in the house – one in a bed and the other in a wardrobe.

Police seized jewellery and cash belonging to the victims as well as designer handbags, shoes and approximately £5,000. A cannabis cultivation of around 40 plants was also discovered in a downstairs room.

Amponsah and Taylor were arrested and both pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary.

Woods was arrested and charged with perverting the course of justice, permitting the production of cannabis and possession of criminal property.

Police arrested Powell on July 14 and he was found to have a black face mask and gloves in his pocket which connected him to the crime.

Powell denied aggravated burglary but was found guilty by a jury following a trial at Woolwich crown court.

Amponsah, from Lewisham, pleaded guilty to burglary and was sentenced to nine years’ imprisonment.

Taylor, from Rotherhithe, pleaded guilty to burglary and landed an eight year prison sentence.

Powell, from Gravesend, was found guilty of burglary by a jury and was jailed for 11 years.

Woods was sentenced to 15 months in prison.

  • Woman slashed across face in pub attack needs 26 stitches to close 7in wound

  • Grindr date 'deserves to suffer' after injecting man with drugs and burying body

Detective Constable Rebecca Ward, of Kent Police, said: “This was a violent burglary and an extremely terrifying ordeal for the victims.

“Not only were they threatened with knives and tied up, they were assaulted without being able to defend themselves.

“However, the bravery of one of those victims resulted in him being able to call us while the offenders were still in his home.

“This meant we were quickly at the scene and able to track Amponsah and Taylor to the address at Thong Lane.

“Despite Woods' efforts to obstruct the officers, they managed to enter that address and gather the evidence to convict them.

“Powell denied his part in the crime, but a thorough investigation led to his conviction and I am pleased they are all now rightfully behind bars.”

Source: Read Full Article

You May Also Like