China reports ZERO domestic coronavirus cases for a second day in a row – but registers record number of imported infections
- No new native cases was found in China, including in Hubei province and Wuhan
- But there are 228 imported cases, sparking fears of a second wave of infections
- More than 80,900 people have been infected and 3,245 have died in the nation
- The coronavirus has infected nearly 245,000 people globally and killed 10,028
- Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?
China has reported no new domestic cases of coronavirus for a second day in a row, but the number of imported infections has risen to 228.
Statistics show infected travellers to China have spread to ever more provinces, adding pressure on authorities to toughen entry rules and health protocols.
For a second day in a row, China found no domestically transmitted cases of the virus that emerged in its central province of Hubei late last year, according to new daily figures registered on Thursday.
China today has reported ZERO domestic cases of coronavirus for a second day in a row, but the number of imported infections has risen to 228. Medical staff from other parts of China are pictured leaving Wuhan on Wednesday as the country sees a sharp decline in its new cases
Travellers wearing protective face masks are pictured following a worker in a full protective outfit in an arrivals area at the Capital International Airport in Beijing on March 17
Fears of a second wave of infections are growing just as China brings its epidemic under control, with the spread of the virus in Europe and North America spurring a rush homewards by Chinese expatriates, many of them overseas students.
‘The number of imported cases in China has further increased, and so the pressure to be on guard has also increased,’ Wang Bin, an official of the National Health Commission, told a news conference in Beijing on Friday.
Mainland China had 39 new imported infections on Thursday, the commission said. Fourteen of these were in the southern province of Guangdong, eight in the commercial hub of Shanghai and six in the capital, Beijing, it said in a statement.
For a second day in a row, China found no domestically transmitted cases of the virus that emerged in its central province of Hubei late last year. Henan medical team members are pictured giving thumb-ups for a group picture before their departure in Wuhan
Two medical workers are pictured bidding a farewell as China today has reported ZERO domestic cases of coronavirus for a second day in a row
The main entry-points for infected travellers have been key transport hubs such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong, including the city of Shenzhen, near Hong Kong.
A smattering of imported cases were also reported in the city of Tianjin and the provinces of Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Shandong and Gansu in the north, as well as in the provinces of Zhejiang, Fujian, Sichuan, and the region of Guangxi further south, taking China’s total imported infections to 228.
The commission did not say where the cases were believed to have originated, but provincial authorities said some of the travellers had been in Britain, Spain and the United States.
‘Everyone is being very vigilant about those coming back from abroad. We must absolutely not let our guard down,’ Cao, a Beijing resident who gave only his surname told Reuters.
‘We cannot relax this vigilance so much that we see a rebound.’
In Gansu, five officials were punished for picking up travellers returning from overseas without permission, including two who have tested positive, the official Xinhua news agency said.
As concern grows over infected arrivals from overseas, the foreign ministers of China, Japan and South Korea held a video conference today to discuss cooperation to rein in the pandemic.
As concern grows over infected arrivals from overseas, the foreign ministers of China, Japan and South Korea held a video conference on Friday to discuss cooperation to rein in the pandemic. The picture shows China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi (middle) giving a speech
Passengers are seen arriving at Shanghai Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, China
The new imported case in Tianjin, a city of 11 million, was a 23-year-old woman studying in London who came home via Zurich, Tokyo and Beijing, Xinhua said.
The northeastern city of Shenyang said its first imported case was a traveller arriving from London via Seoul, who displayed no fever or respiratory tract symptoms at the airport on March 16.
Many outbreaks overseas were caused by travellers from China who were pre-symptomatic and so had not been screened or isolated, the Yale School of Public Health said in a study.
China has long recommended self-isolation by returning travellers, but authorities in some regions now enforce 14 days in quarantine in a medical facility for people returning from any of 24 badly-hit nations, to limit the risk of spread by those not yet showing symptoms.
Many outbreaks overseas were caused by travellers from China who were pre-symptomatic and so had not been screened or isolated. Travellers are pictured wearing protective face masks and standing beside their luggage after flying in Beijing from abroad
Mainland China’s tally of infections stands at 80,967, with the death toll at 3,248 by Thursday, an increase of three from the previous day. Medics are pictured treating a coronavirus patient
Mainland China’s tally of infections stands at 80,967, with the death toll at 3,248 by Thursday, an increase of three from the previous day.
Globally, nearly 245,000 people have been infected with the deadly disease and more than 10,000 have died.
There is a total of 3,269 confirmed cases and 144 deaths in the UK.
There is a total of 3,269 confirmed cases and 144 deaths in the UK. Commuters are pictured crossing the London bridge this morning
Boris Johnson has pledged to urgently increase coronavirus testing despite saying less than three weeks ago that the NHS was ‘well-prepared’ for an outbreak
Boris Johnson has pledged to urgently increase coronavirus testing despite saying less than three weeks ago that the NHS was ‘well-prepared’ for an outbreak.
The Prime Minister told reporters in London yesterday that a ‘game-changing’ new test will be offered to hundreds of thousands of people as soon as possible.
He added at Downing Street that the UK was in negotiations to buy vast quantities of a simple ‘antibody test’ to show if someone has had the virus and recovered from it.
Source: Read Full Article