STUNNING photos and video of empty casinos in Las Vegas show the impact of the coronavirus in Las Vegas.
Much of Sin City has shut down, but the venues that have remained open have been nearly empty in recent days.
One video posted on Facebook on Monday shows an empty casino at the MGM Grand.
All MGM hotels and casinos in Las Vegas were officially shut down Tuesday.
"It is now apparent that this is a public health crisis that requires major collective action if we are to slow its progression," MGM CEO Jim Murren said in a statement.
"We will plan to reopen our resorts as soon as it [is] safe to do so and we will continue to support our employees, guests, and communities in every way that we can during this period of closure."
MGM Resorts said it will not be taking reservations for arrivals before May.
There are 35 reported cases of the coronavirus in Clark County, where Las Vegas is located.
The county reported its first death from the pandemic on Monday.
The CDC had previously recommended that events with more than 50 people should not be held.
“I am not comfortable going to any casino any where in the world right now,” said Ohio resident Sherry Cannon, who canceled a Vegas trip scheduled for May.
“It makes me sad, but I would rather myself and my 80-year-old mother stay alive and not spread anything to anyone else.
"I am glad the casino here in Toledo closed, and I'm happy the ones in Detroit closed because if they hadn't, my mom would be trying to get me to go."
Not all of Vegas is shutting down. Properties owned by Caesars and other organizations are planning to stay open.
A Pennsylvania resident says she still hopes to go to Vegas next month.
“We still plan on going unless they stop the planes from flying,” said Shelly Bittner.
“Just use common sense. Wash your hands, and use sanitizer.”
At least 45 people in Nevada have tested positive for the coronavirus.
The man in Clark County who died was in his 60s and had an underlying health condition, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Officials said the coronavirus risk to those in Clark County is now considered "moderate," the newspaper reported.
Source: Read Full Article