Spain’s first coronavirus death: Man who travelled to Nepal died from the virus last MONTH in a Valencia hospital, ‘retrospective investigation’ reveals
- Spanish health officials announced the country’s first death from coronavirus
- The virus was blamed for the death of a man on February 13 in a Valencia hospital
- Confirmation came after what was described as a ‘retrospective investigation’
Spain has confirmed its first death from coronavirus.
Health officials in Valencia said the virus was to blame for the death of a man on February 13 in a city hospital.
Confirmation came after what was described as a ‘retrospective investigation’ following the death of the man – who had travelled to Nepal.
At the time it was put down to a type of pneumonia of unknown origin.
Confirming the death as it went public with another case of the virus, the regional health authority said: ‘We can confirm two new cases of coronavirus in the Valencian Community, which takes the number of cases to 19 positives.
Health officials in Valencia said the virus was to blame for the death of a man on February 13 in a city hospital (pictured: An Italian tourist at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace Hotel)
‘They are a woman who is at Manises Hospital in Valencia and the case of a man in Arnau de Vilanova Hospital, detected following a retrospective investigation. He passed away on February 13.’
Spain now has 165 cases of coronavirus, with 46 of them in Madrid.
Seven of the patients are in intensive care.
It comes following revelations that a British woman who tested positive for coronavirus at the Tenerife hotel where hundreds of tourists were placed in quarantine last week had been mixing with other guests for more than a week.
Canary Islands authorities say the British holidaymaker was confirmed as a virus patient yesterday and is now in hospital.
Travelers coming from Italy arrive at Valencia’s Manises Airport while wearing facial masks, in Valencia, eastern Spain, 25 February 2020
She becomes the sixth person to be infected at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace, following five Italians including the doctor and his wife who first sparked the scare.
Authorities are now trying to work out how the infection could have occurred. Dozens of Britons have already returned to the UK after testing negative.
Health chiefs in the Canary Islands confirmed the sixth person to test positive at the Tenerife hotel is a British woman who was mixing with other guests for more than a week.
A spokeswoman for the regional health authority admitted the unnamed Brit had not been confined to her room for most of her week-long stay at the hotel, like other guests who were showing no symptoms of the virus and were only ordered to remain in their rooms on the day after the first tourist tested positive.
The revelation will be a cause of concern to British tourists who were trapped in the hotel for several days before being allowed to fly home.
Source: Read Full Article